Purpose for Collecting Social Security Numbers
Libertyville School District 70 treats social security numbers (SSNs) confidentially. District 70 uses SSNs for one of more of the following reasons:
- Employment matters, e.g., income reporting to the Internal Revenue Service and the Illinois Department of Revenue, tax withholding, Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA), or Medicare;
- Verifying enrollment in various benefit programs, e.g., medical or disability insurance and veterans programs;
- Filing insurance claims;
- Internal verification or administrative purposes.
In addition, State law authorizes and/or requires District 70 to use or disclose SSNs in specified circumstances including, without limitation, in the following circumstances:
- Disclosing SSNs to another governmental entity if the disclosure is necessary for the entity to perform its duties and responsibilities;
- Disclosing a SSN pursuant to a court order, warrant, or subpoena; and
- Collecting or using SSNs to investigate or prevent fraud, to conduct background checks, to collect a debt, or to obtain a credit report from a consumer reporting agency under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act.
For more information, contact Pete Theis, director of human resources, at 847-362-9695.