Homeless Services

Neon sign of shaking hands

Homeless Child’s Right to Education

When a child loses permanent housing and becomes a homeless person as defined at law, or when a homeless child changes his or her temporary living arrangements, the parent or guardian of the homeless child has the option of either:

  1.  continuing the child's education in the school of origin for as long as the child remains homeless or, if the child becomes permanently housed, until the end of the academic year during which the housing is acquired; or
  2.  enrolling the child in any school that non-homeless students who live in the attendance area in which the child or youth is actually living are eligible to attend.


Dr. Chris Otto is the Libertyville School District 70 Homeless Liaison. Please call the Special Services Department, Mary Tyree at (847) 247-2694.